Que incopora, per la versió escritori:
- A new, very fast, graphical installer based on the Live CD
- Faster system startup and login
- Simplified menu organization
- Graphical shutdown process
- Easy access to power management settings with GNOME Power Manager (Ubuntu)
- Improved support for video playback
- Optional NetworkManager for convenient roaming between different wireless and wired networks
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2, X.org 7.0
- Support for ongoing translation updates throughout the life of this release, for all supported desktop environments
i per la versió servidor:
- New kernels targeted at server platforms. The server kernels are tuned differently than the desktop kernels (providing better performance for server applications).
- Both low-end and “big iron” server kernels. The low-end server kernel is generic, and should work on the same equipment that the desktop kernel runs on. The high-end server kernel is geared towards systems with greater than 8 CPUs (ES7000 / Summit / BIGSMP).
- Turn-key LAMP installation for this common deployment scenario
- Improved support for clusters and SANs
- Thin client enhancements, including faster client startup, graphical boot process, reduced memory requirements, and sound device support